Warcraft 3 + Hamachi + Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I am creating this thread in the purpose of other people to find this online and to ask questions to see if there is any easier method of doing this.

My friends and I have a 8-person DotA LAN Party and we were short on 2 people so I called up my brother and best friend who live all the way in California (we live in the Eastcoast) and asked them to come play with us. I hosted a game and my friends couldn't see it via hamachi and vice versa.

After some research not only were we able to play online and LAN mixed together, we didn't need to install hamachi on every single computer. What happens is that I have hamachi installed in the computer since I'm the host, the other 2 people online have it installed. Then the people on my LAN could join my game normally without any 3rd party application while the 2 people online were online were playing. A hybrid of LAN and WAN connections.

It took us hours to set up Hamachi but it can pretty much be summarized down to 1 minute:

Essentials Applications
- Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne Expansion
- 1.23 Patch (that has no cd loader)
- Hamachi

Setup
- Router
- 8 laptops connected wirelessly
- 8 laptops / people in one room
- 1 person is using home premium (online)
- 1 person is using Windows 7 (online)
- Host is using Windows Vista 64-bit ultimate
- 10 people total (8 LAN, 2 online)

preparation
- the host of the game must be in the physical LAN party
- install hamachi on the host comptuer
- tell the people who are joining via online to install hamachi

host / online computer preparation
- go to start > network > network and sharing center > manage network connections
- go to advanced > advanced settings
- click on hamachi press the up arrow key until its all the way up

once that is done, the following methods below must be done for the host of the game and the people who are connected online EVERY TIME before a game must be started. That means that even though you did the following steps below before, you will have to do it for each and every single one of the game.

Host Setup
- close warcraft 3
- close warcraft (or make sure its not open)
- make sure hamachi is open (and connected online)
- go to start > network > network and sharing center > manage network connections
- disable wireless adapter (or local area network connection if your plugged in)
- start up warcraft 3
- create a game in LAN
- just wait and don't do anything until you read further on below

Online Setup
- close warcraft 3
- close warcraft (or make sure its not open)
- make sure hamachi is open (and connected online)
- disable wireless adapter (or local area network connection if your plugged in)
- start up warcraft 3
- do not click on anything

What the above does is it forces your computer to use Hamachi as the only living network adapter. This will make you see the games and such. Make sure you can't connect online when you disable your internet adapter.

Synching Up
- Countdown to 3 and get ready to enable your wireless (or LAN) connection and you all have to do it at the same time.
- now the online players should see the game when they go to Local Area

my question is, how do I make it so that I don't have to always try to "sync up" or go through the trouble of disabling and enabling this wireless adapter for each and every single game?

p.s. on the host and online setup. you can save so much time if everybody does the steps individually rather than the same time. meaning they can do it at their own pace but it must be in the same sequencial order. the most important part is the synching part up which is the last step that must be done at the same time.

Almost all Wc3 and DotA players switched from Hamachi to GGC (now Garena) like 4 years ago, so you should check that out.

The lag/delay is much better on garena.

well in Hamachi, not every client needs the client. I assume if I use Garena, everyone will have to install it on their computer? Its not really ideal when u have 10 players playing LAN and more than 70% are noobs both in the game in computers.

See Hamachi all u need is the software installed in my computer, and any computer who is online. If more than 50% of your players are in your LAN, all u need is Hamachi right? unless someone can confirm that u can use Garena the same way u can use Hamachi.

update I tried out Garena and its cool and all if your playing online with friends.

My situation is that I have about 8-9 people physically in my LAN party. Most of them are noobs with little to no experience on computers, let alone warcraft 3. I usually CALL my bro from the internet to join our LAN party. Hamachi plays better because it uses the actual network rather than a tunnel that Garena uses. So whenever I host a Garena game, people in my LAN will not be able to see it unless each and every single one of them has Garena installed.

With all the email verification, garena server, game room and channel room that garena has; it will make it a hassle for all the people in my LAN party. I could just load up hamachi with my bro online and everything is set while people in the LAn can just join in whenever without having to modify a single thing in the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom