OpenMediaVault? FreeNAS? Need Help.

indy1172

Beta member
I have a desktop computer that I am using as a dedicated server running Windows7 Professional,Q6600, 8gb... I am using VMWARE to run a LAMP stack for my webserver. I also want to install a VM for file sharing. I have a 2 TB hdd in that machine.

I do all of my work from my laptop. I do graphic design and web stuff so I have a ton of photos that I want to shoot over to the 2TB hdd on my server machine if possible with a simple drag and drop. Also, I'd like to download movies to it and be able to stream it from anywhere in the house. I really need help with this.

Also, would it be possible to access these files publicly?

Thanks.
Russ

if all you want to add is file sharing, then I would throw the files on windows and share it. no real need for the overhead. If you were looking to create snapshots or sync with another machine, then we may need to look at other systems.
I did find the following though that makes it easy to share files across the internet. Yes it is possible. However, you should review your TOS with your ISP. A lot of time they don't want residential customers running servers. I know of some that scan their customers pcs for open ports and send notices. You would want to upgrade to a business tier internet connection to host a public server.

Meiga - One of The Best Linux File Sharing Programs

Back
Top Bottom