HP Pro Liant ML350 G4 Intel Xeon Tower Server.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I've just bought this for next to nothing and even at the least if I cant use it for any forsaken reason I will just pull it apart and have a Play around.

Why would a server have two Ethernet and only One USB.

I know absolutely Jack about Servers but for the price I wasn't going to knock it back even just to play with it.

Its running 3x 72Gb HDD with a Raid Card at 64 MB and a Back up Tape Drive with a Redundant PSU, and has 6 Slots for Memory.

I'm busy downloading Linux SUSE at the minute, but can any one give advice on what I've bought. Its in fully working order and for the price I couldn't say no.

Answered in your Off Topic post:

Because it's a server - servers generally don't need USB inputs, but they have a use for multiple network cards.

A few different reasons just off the top of my head:
1. Network load balancing, you can team nics together to act as one in a failover setup or load balancing setup.
2. Network segmentation, one nic goes to my internal network one goes to a dmz or external. Can also send certain traffic over one nic and other traffic over another
3. Not used as often but you can use the server as a router to route traffic from one network segment to another
4. Mpio

It would be foolish to only have one nic if anything for redundancy. Most servers have two power supplies as well.

Few usb ports bc its a server class machine. Its not meant to sit on your desk its meant to be racked and sit in a server room with dozens or hundreds of ither servers. You then access the servers from a kvm console or rdp.

I've just managed to get the Server up and running. Being second hand hardware its running Server 2003 Windows R2.

Is their any way around the password I have to put it or will it be a Format I will have to do and put something like Ubuntu on it.

I booted the server and all this is completely new to me. I didn't seem to see a BIOS readily available to look at or Boot into so I'm not sure what I'm doing TBH.

off topic... but weren't you going to stop running so many computers at once? why'd you buy another one?

off topic... but weren't you going to stop running so many computers at once? why'd you buy another one?

I bought this because it was going Cheap for next to nothing. It was second hand and off a mate so I took it because I had never had dedicated server hardware before. Its kind neat having a Server designed to be on 24\7, despite not knowing a great deal about server tech.

I enjoy reading a lot so I've been reading up on the tech and found various uses Fat.Clown, such as Streaming, Storage, Hosting, Game Hosting as well for example.

I wanted to find out more about this kind of stuff so I've bought it to see what I can and how this stuff works.

I'll put Ubuntu on it mabie. Its also got a Back up tape drive and a DVD R\W Drive. Its old but I'm not complaining.

I rang my BB Provider today to upgrade my Line and they say they don't do Fiber Optic for some very strange reason so I'm not renewing the Contract next October when its up.

I was going to ditch 2 or 3 of my systems but decided to keep them as I don't really pay Electric and can't afford the Latest and Greatest i7 for example. So I'm just crunching on what I have. Its kinda sweet. A lot of work at times when things need upgrading \ updating but when I'm at home, peace and quiet, I can just potter on with all my systems and personally speaking I'm well buzzing I have a 3.0 GHz Xeon Chip and a RAID array on my server. Its like the Geek factor.

I've just managed to get the Server up and running. Being second hand hardware its running Server 2003 Windows R2.

Is their any way around the password I have to put it or will it be a Format I will have to do and put something like Ubuntu on it.

I booted the server and all this is completely new to me. I didn't seem to see a BIOS readily available to look at or Boot into so I'm not sure what I'm doing TBH.

Are you talking about the Admin password? Just use Offline NT Password editor to blank out the password and login.
Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor

Well... there aren't really any differences between Xeons and Core chips. They're usually the "best" (ie in best shape right off the manufacturing line) procs that come off the line so they run cooler and support ECC RAM. But that's about it.

But because of their design, they generally run a LOT louder. I mean like.. a jet engine. These things get loud :tongue:

Your telling me iFargle, I booted the server and after cleaning the whole thing out. I mean I stripped the full thing down at tea time and put it back together.

My toes curled up when I booted the thing, it was louder than my vacuum cleaner. I had done everything right except one DIMM wasn't slotted correctly, checked it over and now it runs cooler than my Duel Core.

I've downloaded the program Carnage but I cant seem to make heads or tails of it. I booted the Disk after burning the ISO. I was given repeated Dialog boxes that their was no Password and the Password was "Blank" threw the Scripts in the Linux based ISO I've just put on CD. I changed a few things and deleted groups ECT: but to no avail. Its still aking me for the Password when Booting the Server.

I had shut down the Server Via the Power Switch and thus learn threw Linux its coincided a dirty Boot due to the fact it wasn't shut down proper. After getting to the Log in screen I didn't have that option as the "Shut Down" Button wasn't high lighted.

I've downloaded the program Carnage but I cant seem to make heads or tails of it. I booted the Disk after burning the ISO. I was given repeated Dialog boxes that their was no Password and the Password was "Blank" threw the Scripts in the Linux based ISO I've just put on CD. I changed a few things and deleted groups ECT: but to no avail. Its still aking me for the Password when Booting the Server.

I had shut down the Server Via the Power Switch and thus learn threw Linux its coincided a dirty Boot due to the fact it wasn't shut down proper. After getting to the Log in screen I didn't have that option as the "Shut Down" Button wasn't high lighted.

How To Remove Passwords Using Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

Back
Top Bottom