Help with server basics

Adam213

Beta member
Hello all,

Friend of mine gave me an old dell poweredge 850 server with windows 2003 server preinstalled. He performed a clean install for me so I don't have anything on it. Barely got the Internet to work. Now, i don't have any experience with servers but I want to learn. I'm stuck on where to begin. I would like to practice and gain more knowledge on building web, media, file, print, game, etc type servers but not sure if that's possible being this unit is old. I was told I can have multiple servers using VMware but again I dont know servers let alone what VMware does. I'm reading network admin books but i don't know if I'm wasting my time on unrelated topics. If anyone can post up any links or guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Again, my experience and knowledge on servers are zero. Thank you for the help

Hello all,

Friend of mine gave me an old dell poweredge 850 server with windows 2003 server preinstalled. He performed a clean install for me so I don't have anything on it. Barely got the Internet to work. Now, i don't have any experience with servers but I want to learn. I'm stuck on where to begin. I would like to practice and gain more knowledge on building web, media, file, print, game, etc type servers but not sure if that's possible being this unit is old. I was told I can have multiple servers using VMware but again I dont know servers let alone what VMware does. I'm reading network admin books but i don't know if I'm wasting my time on unrelated topics. If anyone can post up any links or guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Again, my experience and knowledge on servers are zero. Thank you for the help

I'd say first you may want to put the books down and hit up the good 'ol web:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787486(v=ws.10).aspx

Second: I would determine what kind of server I wanted to run by installing certain roles and features.

Third: I would check out what kind of hardware I had if I received a pre-owned server to make sure you can run certain types of roles without issue.

Heh, I had a Dell PowerEdge 830 with Server 2008 R2 at one point.

I had the following running on it:
IIS Web server
WAMP web server
FileZilla FTP server
Minecraft server (could only handle like 5 people at a time on it)
TeamSpeak server
VisualSVN Server (code repository for my programming projects)
Plex Media Server (movies/TV/music)
Local file server (just shared certain directories on my network)

Migrated over to a different machine now, though.

I didn't have any of it running in separate VM's - would need a more powerful machine to run server roles in separate VM's.

Heh, I had a Dell PowerEdge 830 with Server 2008 R2 at one point.

I had the following running on it:
IIS Web server
WAMP web server
FileZilla FTP server
Minecraft server (could only handle like 5 people at a time on it)
TeamSpeak server
VisualSVN Server (code repository for my programming projects)
Plex Media Server (movies/TV/music)
Local file server (just shared certain directories on my network)

Migrated over to a different machine now, though.

I didn't have any of it running in separate VM's - would need a more powerful machine to run server roles in separate VM's.

+1 Yeah, that's true. I'd first figure out what you even want your server to do

I wanted to install active directory and i was attempting to setup a static IP address for a file server but got stuck and have the following questions?

1) how do I chose a default gateway and DNS server address?
2)I have 3 NIC ports, am I suppose to use all three or just one?
3) do I connect my server before or after my router which is connected to my modem?

Thank you

I wanted to install active directory and i was attempting to setup a static IP address for a file server but got stuck and have the following questions?

1) how do I chose a default gateway and DNS server address?
2)I have 3 NIC ports, am I suppose to use all three or just one?
3) do I connect my server before or after my router which is connected to my modem?

Thank you

Your default gateway is your routers IP address, the private address: Example: 192.168.1.1; 10.0.0.1; 172.0.1.1; does not always have to end in 1 either.

Your DNS server is what accesses the internet to look up Fully Qualified Domain Names : Ex. https://www.google.com is a FQDN which is looked up by IP address. Call ISP to get a usable one.

You really don't have to use all NICs, multiple NIC's are usually used to separate networks in larger infrastructures for security reasons. So I'm sure you won't need all three especially if you have a good firewall that is all you need. At my job we have each stores a Master File System which has 2 NIC's; one to go to the internet, and one to work with the sensitive credit card data which passes through that machine.

Unless you need to separate your network for such purposes or monitor your network. Which actually you may want to look in to using 2. But it is not required to run a server.

Connect after router. If you want improved security go check out routers with firewalls. A router that has a built in firewall. You may run a software firewall as well for extra security. MAKE SURE they are configured to not conflict with each other.

Back
Top Bottom