Problem With DVD Quality when watching on a Computer

VideoEditor3

Beta member
Hi I am new to Tech Forums and I was hoping someone could give me so advice on a problem I have been having:
Problem:

Lately I have been trying to watching DVDs on my laptop and when I put the dvd in the drive and watch it on my laptop screen the video is very pixelated/grainy and not in very good condition at all which I find strange since when I watch that same dvd on my Panasonic 55in 1080p tv with my bluray player it looks just fine. I mean it is not hd like a bluray would be but still the quality is clear and easy on the eyes. At first I thought it was my laptops dvd drive so I hooked up my external bluray read writer and tried watching the dvd using that with my laptop and still the video was awful quality. So I then went and tried it on my desktop and while it looked slightly better on that it was still pretty awful so I am very confused on what the problem is? I know people watch dvds on their laptops all the time and I doubt they have the same problem I am having else they probably wouldn't do it or at least wouldn't enjoy it that much. Oh also I have tried a number of different dvds and they all have the same problem looks just fine on the tv set up but computer is crap. Plus I have tried watching the dvds on the both computers with several different softwares including VCL Media Player, AsusDVD, windows media player. Do you have any ideas why I am having these issues? I was wanting to buy Clone dvd2 and AnyDVD HD to save copies of my dvds to my hard drive to watch on my laptop on the go but if this issue keeps up I will have to change my mind since just watching a dvd straight off the disc on my computer is painful to look at even before I copy it so any help would be so very much appreciated.

Attached at the very bottom are my laptop Screen Resolution information and some test pictures of the pixelation/grainy of the dvd while playing on the laptop.

My Computer Specs:

Laptop Asus g750jm bsi7n23 windows 8.1 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @2.40GHz with 32gb ram, windows 8.1, 16.9 Full HD Display with an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 video card. It has a MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ8E1 dvd-cd-rom drive.

Desktop Widows 7 64bit AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor 3.10GHz Ram 16gb, Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT, DVD/CD-Rom ATAPLiHAS424 Y ATA device, Monitors Samsung not sure model number. Screen Resolution set at SyncMaster 1920x1080 (recommended).

Attachments

• resolution laptop.JPG
    resolution laptop.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ncis picture quality 1.jpg
    ncis picture quality 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 7
  • ncis picture quality 2.jpg
    ncis picture quality 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 6
  • ncis picture quality 3.jpg
    ncis picture quality 3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 7
I would say if you're having a noticeable difference between your set-top DVD player and your PC that your issue would reside in decoding. I would suggest watching the DVD on a different media player... like VLC.. that way you're decoding the DVD with a different codec.

There are also different decoding options within VLC that drastically effect quality. Play with the interlace scanning options until you find a quality you're happy with.

I would say if you're having a noticeable difference between your set-top DVD player and your PC that your issue would reside in decoding. I would suggest watching the DVD on a different media player... like VLC.. that way you're decoding the DVD with a different codec.

There are also different decoding options within VLC that drastically effect quality. Play with the interlace scanning options until you find a quality you're happy with.

Thanks for replying. I have tried playing my dvds on several different media players including VCL Media Player, AsusDVD, windows media player already. As for the interlaceing scanning options I don't remember seeing anything like that in the software could you direct me where that is located? I only saw under video deinterlacing modes. Is that what you are referring to?

His Bluray player actually probably just has a 1080p upscale making a regular DVD not look as terrible as it really is with a nice deinterlace.

I checked out my Bluray player and it does says online it upscales dvds to near HD quality. So you are right that must be what makes the huge difference. What I am wondering is there a software or something that could do the same thing for my computer?

My External Bluray Read/Writer is an Asus BW-121S-U

My TV Bluray Player is a Sony BDP-S480/S580/BX58

Thanks so much for your replies I greatly appreciate it and look forward to hopefully hearing from you again. :D

You're essentially asking to make a turd a shiny turd lol. There isn't much you can do besides maybe read up on upscaling procedures on Handbrake.

Back
Top Bottom