In-ear earphones shocking me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudgedragon

Solid State Member
I just upgraded to the Klipsch S4i set and anytime I move even slightly I get a shock in my ear and hear a popping sound. I'm using them on my PC. I don't get this issue with my Skullcandy set but I did have the shock issue with another pair I use to use. The S4i that I have has an issue where I have to finagle the input to get them to connect. Could that be causing the issue? Is there a way I can "ground" the earphones coming out of my PC somehow so there is no static? I'm not sure what to do here. Thanks guys! :grin:

Update: I just plugged the S4i set into my Zune and both problems were not present. No shocks. And I didn't have any connection issue where the input didn't make contact and I had to finagle it.

When I plug them into the front jack on my PC I get the shocks and the connection problems. When I use a 3.5mm headphone extension cable I have the same connection issue when plugging into that. Thing is, using my Skullcandy set I have no issues like this. When I use my Audio Technica AD700s I have no issue. I did have this same issue with an old generic set I use to use. So, why this problem with some sets but not others? I love the S4i sound and want to keep them but this sucks.

I already plugged the s4is into my zune and scraped my socked feet across the carpet like crazy and got no problems. With them plugged into my PC I will barely move (on hardwood floor) and I get shocked like crazy. Even barefoot!

If the jack wasn't hooked up correctly, why would so many other sets work perfectly? I hurt my back recently but I'll try to investigate that issue when I can.

When I plug the S4i into the PC the sound is extremely low and muffled and then I have to pull it out slightly at just the right point to get the sound to correct. However, when I plug them into my Zune they connect flawlessly with absolutely no issue with the shocks or connection.

make sure the headphone cord isn't touching your body as mcuh as possible, also put the zune in your pocket and run around with it (completely seriously). I remember with my ipod i'd get shocked when it was in the pocket of my gym shorts playing basketball. Could also be that your computer isn't totally grounded? And I think it would be reasonable to assume that the static shock could be diminishing the audio quality. Is there a difference in the cable casing from the technica's to the s4i's?

Dude, I went crazy with my zune on. For real, I was trying to do anything I could think of to reproduce the problem and was unable to.

If my PC wasn't grounded, why would this only happen with the S4i and not other sets I've used? :(

The S4 cable is super thin and flimsy. From my research the weak cabling is an issue so maybe that is it. The technica's cable is thick and sturdy and I've never had any issues.

is the casing on the zune plastic? the ipod casing is aluminum/metally so that would explain why the zune isn't shocking you but the ipod is.

and yeah it might be the casing, if it's insulated then i would think that it would prevent electricity from going up the cord into the headphones.

did you build your computer or buy it prebuilt?

The one thing i can think of is that something isn't grounded and so the electricity is searching for a ground, aka your ears.

If it isn't grounded what exactly does that mean? What can I do to fix that? I have it plugged into a good surge protector. Thanks the replies, sir!

it would be something inside the computer. Usually it's just something that someone missed on the putting together of the rig. if you put the rig together just go back and double check all your connections and make sure everything is in all the way.

Does your case have rubber feet on it?

If it was something with the PC connection would't I get this issue with all my other earphones?

My PC case is on wheels. They're locked but they are on wheels.

no, if the wire is insulated then it would prevent electrical conductivity. that's why i asked about the wire from the two headphones. if there isn't anything to take the electricity away from the wire then it'll travel all the way up to the driver in the headphone and into your ear.

and what do you mean by licked? (never heard that phrase before in relation to wheels/computers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom