I want to make a website...

grenadeforce

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

I want to make a very large information website. I want it to include thousands of pages. However, I do not know any programming or coding. Plus, I don't want to sit for hours coding in notepad and come up with some crap-looking site. I have also learned there is something called a website database? Please help me I am sorry for being vague about my requirements but this is making me quite annoyed.

What kind of site are you wanting to make? A blog-style site? An informational site about a business? An e-commerce site where people can shop/buy products?

I'd start out with a CMS, such as WordPress or Drupal.

You'll need to either buy a domain and hosting service, or you can buy a domain and host on your own server somewhere.

I want to make it a informational website for educational purposes. What is a cms? Also what is wordpress and drupal, like what do they do specifically? I want alot of customization. I also will be adding in new pages frequently

Thanks

CMS = Content Management System.

WordPress and Drupal are ways for people to setup websites that will have frequently changing information on them easily. Little to no programming required.

I'm more experienced in Wordpress, so I can tell you more about it. It allows you to "install" themes and plugins to add functionality. You can create/edit/delete pages and content on those pages easily through the Admin portal, as well as setup registration for users so they can contribute to articles (by setting up various permissions), or allow guests to post.

More info here:
http://wordpress.com
https://wordpress.org/

I have heard that WordPress is not recommended for large websites. Also is Drupal like Dreamweaver where I can just drag and drop images and text, create master pages? I did some research and it says I have to purchase a website before I can use Drupal. ;/

Also, where do you recommend I go for web hosting? Is HostGator fine? or are there better, and cheaper options?

I have heard that WordPress is not recommended for large websites. Also is Drupal like Dreamweaver where I can just drag and drop images and text, create master pages? I did some research and it says I have to purchase a website before I can use Drupal. ;/
There's places that use Wordpress as a backend that are decently sized. You won't want to host it on Wordpress's servers (by having a .wordpress.com domain) - you'll want to buy your own hosting and domain and then install/upload/configure WordPress on the hosting service's server(s).

Also, where do you recommend I go for web hosting? Is HostGator fine? or are there better, and cheaper options?

HostMonster, 000webhosting, HostGator are all good hosting srevices. GoDaddy is...ok.

Back
Top Bottom