False positive alert from Mcafee with NSIS installer

alexhilda

Solid State Member
As a developer I use NSIS most of the time. Recently I have got some complains that programs that uses nsis installer are being detected as a threat by mcafee. However now even the official nsis installer itself is detected as a threat by mcafee. Below is a analysis done by virustotal
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/7e5c203584c538205b345d91249fca8af03a8cf186c8c870a86374812d8103a5/analysis/

Found some similar threads also on mcafee community > https://community.mcafee.com/message/355351#355351

I would like to know if anyone facing the same problem as I am

I'd say your options are as follows:

1) Change the functionality of the software in regards to how it behaves
2) Submit the findings as false positives to McAfee so that they can whitelist them in their definitions
3) Instruct your customers to whitelist the installers/programs
4) Instruct your customers to ditch McAfee since it sucks anyway :p.

I'd say your options are as follows:

1) Change the functionality of the software in regards to how it behaves
2) Submit the findings as false positives to McAfee so that they can whitelist them in their definitions
3) Instruct your customers to whitelist the installers/programs
4) Instruct your customers to ditch McAfee since it sucks anyway :p.

Thanks for the reply however I am talking about official nsis installer is being detected as a threat by mcafee on my computer. I have already submitted a false positive to Mcafee but they barely done anything about it and there are a lot of discussions going on in community of mcafee at the moment regarding the same problem.

Ah, ok, thought you meant for an app you were developing, since you posted this in the Programming board.

Well, about all you can do is whitelist the installers or disable McAfee while installing them.

My suggestion still stands about ditching McAfee - it's not a very good AV.

Ah, ok, thought you meant for an app you were developing, since you posted this in the Programming board.

Well, about all you can do is whitelist the installers or disable McAfee while installing them.

My suggestion still stands about ditching McAfee - it's not a very good AV.

Yeah I surely do agree with you about ditching the Mcafee but the problem is I can't ask my customers to change the virus guard because my program that uses nsis might detect as a threat if you have Mcafee installed on your system.

Since they lack the knowledge about software development, it's highly unlikely they will understand a word I say to them.

Yeah I surely do agree with you about ditching the Mcafee but the problem is I can't ask my customers to change the virus guard because my program that uses nsis might detect as a threat if you have Mcafee installed on your system.

Since they lack the knowledge about software development, it's highly unlikely they will understand a word I say to them.

You can distribute instructions on how to whitelist the software. Still, nobody will read the documentation, but then you will have it accessible and can put it up on a website (if your company has one) or email it to affected customers.

You can distribute instructions on how to whitelist the software. Still, nobody will read the documentation, but then you will have it accessible and can put it up on a website (if your company has one) or email it to affected customers.

Yeah we are taking alternatives at the moment instead of nsis, however if anyone faces the same problem, don't forget to share your opinion on mcafee community

https://community.mcafee.com/message/355505#355505

Thank you for redirecting to Mcafee community discussions. More complaints means this will get fixed soon. I will file a false positive report as well.

Thank you for redirecting to Mcafee community discussions. More complaints means this will get fixed soon. I will file a false positive report as well.

Absolutely. That is why it is very important that everyone who has this problem complain to macfee

Good news and Mcafee already white listed NSIS installer. However the problem still persists with programs use NSIS installer

Back
Top Bottom