Active Directory - Which is better? C# or Powershell?

ComputerNovice

Baseband Member
Which is more powerful for accessing Active Directory? C# or Powershell?

I know C#, but I'm a stranger to Powershell. I've had some success searching through Active Directory with C#, but it seems limited to exactly what poperties I can access on the AD objects and accounts. Maybe it's just me, though.

My issues is that I do not know Powershell. I'm confident I can learn it, though. But I don't want to slow down my project, by learning something that will not be more useful than C#.

I'm basically trying to search through Emails DL's and Security Groups, determine which ones are either obsolete or new and then write them to an output file. Or something similar along those lines...

I'd probably say PowerShell would be better for that. PS a scripting language geared more towards that functionality and should be able to make quick scripts to achieve what you want - whereas with C# you'll have to compile an executable. Unless of course you want a nice GUI interface, then C# would be a better solution. Can't say I've done anything to interact with AD using C#, but it should have libraries to hook into it.

That is exactly what I was wondering about...the powershell libraries. I had seen some examples on the internet and it seemed there was more to offer, compared to C#, in terms of accessing properties of AD objects. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom