Simple voltage questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
Hi guys,

A couple of quick questions for you OC gurus.

I've overclocked my E6600 to 3.1ghz thus far.

In core temp, I've getting idle readings of about 44c.

Now, when I've been into the BIOS (Nvidia 680i board) - I've so far set the CPU Core voltage to 1.35v and the FSB voltage to 1.3v. I've been testing to see how low I can OC on the lowest voltage, so far this is an low as I've taken my system.

After a reboot, things seem to still be running stable on the above settings. This leads me to two questions...

1. With overclocking, is it better to OC at the lowest possible voltages? The way I see it, with high voltages, the hotter the CPU can get, thus straining the component and decreasing its lifespan.

2. Also, do lower voltages decrease the actual overall performance of an OC?

you only raise voltage to increase the stability of the system, so what you're doing is good because it will run as cool as possible with your cooling setup, and you can overclock more and keep temps low if you desire it.

you only raise voltage to increase the stability of the system, so what you're doing is good because it will run as cool as possible with your cooling setup, and you can overclock more and keep temps low if you desire it.

cheers, Peter. So decreasing the CPU/FSB voltages won't slow down the OC at all?

Also, currently, my FSB is 1600MHZ, my RAM is "linked" which is running at 800Mhz, this gives me a ration of FSB(1:1), thats correct, isn't it?

Btw, love your avatar!

cheers, Peter. So decreasing the CPU/FSB voltages won't slow down the OC at all?

Also, currently, my FSB is 1600MHZ, my RAM is "linked" which is running at 800Mhz, this gives me a ration of FSB(1:1), thats correct, isn't it?

Btw, love your avatar!

it won't slow down the oc at all, it will tell you though what the minimum voltage is for your clock and will keep it at a relatively low temp depending on what your clock is.

I have a question, for every voltage you try how long do you have to test it for before you can call it stable??? I don't think I would ever do the 12/24 hour Prime95 test for each voltage increment.

Does anyone know on average what the best voltage is for overclocking a E6600 to 3.6Ghz?

You may want to look at this thread, may help you with a few questions and get you to your OC faster. Click Here Notice the (Auto Setting) he is using, may work for you and then you can lower the voltages from there.

another problem with overvolting is electron displacement (or something like that)

since the electrons havea lot more energy with more volts, they are more likely to knock an atom out of place within the cricuit, thus increasing resistance, and damaging the chip. one atom may not sound like much, but eventually there will be a knock on effect resulting in the end, in the death of the component when it has suffered too much damage to work properly.

I learnt this from my cousin who works at the AMD centre in singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom