How often do everyone Re-certify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewTechie250

Solid State Member
Just curious, I was wondering if everyone here with certs already re certify when it becomes "not current" or only when it's necessary? And for the Microsoft/CompTIA re-certifications, you take the same exams? I think I read somewhere on their websites they offer special prices for individuals who re-certify during a specific time period as long as they don't let it be expired for to long and they take a different exam.

Currently the exams that 'expire' are Comptia's and Cisco. They don't expire per-se, they just are no longer valid after so long. I think Comptia's is 3 years and Cisco's is 2 years. As for Cisco's the re certify exam is just coverage over the new material, so i'd imagine it is pretty easy compared to the core exam. As for CompTIA they just passed that policy back in 2010 that said any exams after 1/1/2011 would expire after so long. I don't know how they are handling the re certification exams as they haven't come up yet. In 2013 or 2014 they will probably map out how re certifying works.

As for Microsoft the played with the idea of expiring exams a few years back and they got a **** ton of push back from the community. To this date microsoft exams don't expire, they just are relevant for as long as the software is in use. IMO that is how it should be for software exams, as for hardware i think it should be every 4 years.

I personally have not recertified, I've got a couple microsoft exams in server 2008 so those will be current for probably the next 3 years or so until they product a new server OS AND it becomes mainstream (remember it's still relevant until people stop using it). As for my A+ and Net+ I haven't had to re certify either since i took both before they passed that new policy. If i were to re certify I would have to wait and see what they offer. At this point in my career i have no intention of touching another CompTIA book, i'm focusing on Server technology at this point in my life.

I see. Thanks!

I'm getting into the CompTIA Network + now as I'm about done with CompTIA A+. It's kinda ironic that the weak point of my A+ when i took practice exams was in the networking sections and I'm starting in Networking + now >_<. I plan to take my A+ exam in 2 weeks roughly as I review a few things, and watch a few more videos at professor messers website and take another practice exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom