• Disable defragmentation
• Disable Superfetch / Prefetch
• Disable the Page File
• Disable System Restore
• Disable Hibernate
• TRIM Commands
• SSD Tweak Utility

Enable Write Caching

Open the Control Panel -> System and Security -> Device Manager -> expand Disk drives -> Double click on the listed storage device that you want to enable write caching for -> Click on the Polices tab -> By default, "Enable write caching on the device" is checked under the Write-caching policy section. If not, then check it -> Select (check) the "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" box -> Click on OK -> Click on Yes to restart the computer to apply.

write-cache-2.jpg

(Note: Turning off "Windows Write-cache Buffer Flushing on the Device" runs the risk of data loss in case of a power failure without actually shutting down the machine.)

Disable indexing

Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Windows Search -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK
(Note: This does not disable "searching", it disables the "search indexer")

indexing-1.jpg

Go to Computer -> Right click on SSD Drive -> Properties -> Uncheck Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties -> Click OK

indexing-2.jpg

Turn Off the Disk Defragmenter Schedule

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter -> Click on the Configure schedule button -> Uncheck the Run on a Schedule box -> Click on OK -> Close the window.

defrag-1.jpg

Disable Disk Defragmenter

Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Disk Defragmenter -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK

defrag-2.jpg

Disable Superfetch / Disable Prefetch

Open regedit.exe and browse down to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Find the "EnableSuperfetch" key on the right-hand pane, rightclick it, hit modify and change 3 to 0 and hit OK.
Find the "EnablePrefetcher" key on the right-hand pane, right click it, hit modify and change 3 to 0 and hit OK.

pre-super-fetch.jpg

Disable the Page File

Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Settings (Performance) -> Advanced Tab -> Change -> Uncheck Automatically manage -> No paging file -> Set -> OK -> Restart your computer

pagefile-1.jpg

(Note: If you run out of memory the program your using will crash so I setup a page file on my Data Drive.)

pagefile-2.jpg

Disable System Restore

Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> System Protection Tab -> Click Configure -> Check Turn off system protection -> Click Delete -> OK

restore.jpg

Disable Hibernate

Start Menu -> Type cmd -> Right-Click the cmd Icon -> Run as Administrator -> Type powercfg -h off -> Hit ENTER -> Type exit -> Hit ENTER
To enable type: powercfg -h on

hibernate.jpg

TRIM Commands

• Enable TRIM
Go to the Command Prompt and type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

• Disable TRIM

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

SSD Tweak Utility

The SSD Tweak Utility is quite handy as it will quickly help you setup your SSD, but I still like to double check all the settings listed above. You can download the SSD Tweak Utility at either one of these locations.

http://members.westnet.com.au/tarcoola.computers/elpamsoft/SSDTweaker.zip

SSD Tweak Utility download from Guru3D.com

And you must have Microsoft .NET Framework installed.

Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

There have been a few updates and bug fixes so I recommend checking for updates before you start.

tweaker-1.jpg

You can choose which tweaks you want to apply or the Utility will "Auto Tweak" for you.

tweaker-2.jpg

If a tweak is grayed out it does not apply to your system.

tweaker-3.jpg

If you want to apply a tweak you must un-check it. Hovering your mouse over a tweak will bring up a description of the setting.

tweaker-4.jpg

To use the "Auto Tweak" feature you just have to click the Auto Tweak Settings button.

tweaker-5.jpg

After clicking on the Auto Tweak Settings button a few reminder boxes may pop-up.

tweaker-6.jpg

Your Tweaks will not be applied until you reboot the system.

tweaker-7.jpg

You may also notice the SSD Tweak Utility making a few suggestions to speed up your system. It's telling me that disabling the Themes Service will boost performance a little.

tweaker-8.jpg

If you like the Utility you can always make a Donation or Buy it.

tweaker-9.jpg

If you Buy the Software it will unlock a few Advanced Features. These features do not apply to your SSD, they are Windows System adjustments.

tweaker-10.jpg

If you click on the RAMDISK Info button it supplies you with the url to the RAMDISK Download. RAMDISK is a utility that will use a portion of your System Memory and make it function like a Physical Disk or Hard Drive.

tweaker-11.jpg

Here are a few more SSD Tweaks

Move your Temporary Internet Folder to your Data Drive

Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options
Go to the General Tab and click Settings under Browsing History.
This will bring up the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings Dialog Box.
Click on Move Folder, this brings up the Browse for Folder Dialog Box.
Select your Data Drive and click OK. Windows will create a Folder called Temporary Internet Files on your Data drive, this is a Hidden Folder so you may not see it.

internet.jpg

Move Temp and Tmp files to your Data Drive

Create a Folder on your Data Drive. You can name this folder anything you want, I named it Temp.
Navigate to Control Panel > System and Security > System
Click on Advanced System Settings, this brings up the System Properties Dialog Box.
Click on Enviroment Variables, this brings up the Enviroment Variables Box.
Highlight the Temp and Tmp variables, one at a time, in both the User and System areas. Click the Edit box and change each setting to the folder you created on your Data drive.

tempfiles.jpg

You may want to note, that users should still use a page file, as some programs actually must have access to it, so they may want to make a 3-4GB partition on a classic platter drive to use as the page file.

Great write up. Im gonna use this instead of typing alot to people trying to explain my way through things. You basically do everything i do except i dont use an SSD utility. I also used diskpar and commands to change the internal RAID stripe on my SSD.

Wear leveling is a good thing, it means the writes are distributed across all of the flash cells in a SSD so no one cell gets worn out too quickly. AFAIK all of the good SSDs implement wear leveling at the controller level so the file system you choose to use doesn't matter.

All new SSD's have their own wear-leveling built-in, changing it would likely require a firmware modification which would be up to the manufacturer. Windows 7's TRIM command and the Garbage Collection/Wiper feature or application is/are part of the wear-leveling process, if I'm understanding your question correctly.

I made all the steps but a month after I install my Vertex 2 60GB my sequence writings are bad, 56.28 MB/s... any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom