IDE ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garg11

Solid State Member
OK so i just bought a new Asus Mobo for a new rig im building.. Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards my tech level is average, well after much research and inspection, i've relized that there is only 1 IDE slot, but i have both an IDE DvD drive and 2 IDE format Hard drives (just bought a 320 gig last Xmas) and im wondering if i can hook both the HD and the DvD drive upto the same cable (they come w/ 2 output plugs but ive always had 2 HD's pluged in never mix of 2 diff components) Will i be able to run both DvD and HD off the same cable, or am I going to need to suck it up and get some Sata HDs for my new rig?

you can mix and match with ide drives. problem is you can only have 2 hooked up at once. i would suggest getting a SATA optical drive because they are cheaper then a new hdd, and you don't ahve to move stuff over.

Well IDE is old most people on here making a new system won't use IDE as it's older slower an makes for bad airflow inside a case, as peter said SATA drives are cheep now (god i can recall when a 80gb SATA hard drive cost over £100) get yourself either a new hard drive in sata or a optical drive. You can mix an match with IDE an SATA (i.e. you can have both) but personally i would just upgrade both my drives to SATA.

Plus you can plug a SATA drive into your existing IDE slot that you are already using. Make sure your master drive is on the end of the cable when sharing a cable between two drives.

...What?

SATA and IDE are not backwards compatible, whatsoever.

Ok, I forgot to mention that you would use a SATA to IDE bridge chip like this one found at this URL

SATA MINI BRIDGE CONVERTER SATA DRIVE TO IDE CONNECTOR

Also, I braincramped, SATA doesn't need to be set to master or slave. I knew that it could be done though, regarding hooking a SATA drive into a IDE controller slot.

thanks guys for the info. i think im gunna just shell out for a new sata drive, but my main concern was losing all the data on the old IDE HD's i use a 40 gig for windows and junk and a 320 for games, pics, music etc... Also, A friend told me.. that if i was to build a new system and use my old HD's (with Wind XP installed and upto date) that i wouldnt be able to use the same copy of Windows and i'd have to repurchase it?

Can anyone confirm or bust this Myth?

You won't be able to put your old hard drive in a new system an boot it as normal, You would have to reinstall it but as you have basically built a new system (MS classifies a new motherboard as a new system) it would break the TOS to install on a new system. So you would be legally required to buy a new copy of XP.

As far as I know OEM software (original equipment manufacturer) is sold for system builders as the description states in your link. It is supposed to be bought with a particular piece or set of hardware normally, and many places sell OEM software, looking for an extra buck or 3.

I am pasting a link:

Microsoft Authorized Distributors List

of "official" sites that Microsoft has posted that are available to buy OEM software legally from Microsoft. Weird, I didn't see Newegg.com there. :freak:
OEM software is not reportedly transferable either.

If I am wrong, sorry for misinformation, but I think I am right.

Also, you may want to read some of this Microsoft SMB Community Blog : OEM Software. Let's Set The Record Straight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom